The Treasure of a Supportive Person
Do you have at least 1 supportive person in your life? This is someone who will do their best to be present with you at your lowest time. This is a valuable person, a treasure, keep their contact information handy.
I have noticed some similar characteristics for a safe and supportive person:
* they accept you without judging you
* they understand your circumstances and realize every area of your life is impacted
* they allow you to ask "why?" without feeling they must give an answer
* they guide you to what is best for you
* they do not just LISTEN to you...they HEAR your heart
Often I describe a safe or supportive person as someone who will give you their ears and heart...but not their mouth! Grievers do not need to be judged by others. They do not need to be shamed into false guilt. They do not need anyone to push them beyond their physical or emotional limits.
If you have a supportive person in life, let them know you appreciate them. If you do not recognize a supportive person yet, do not give up, regardless of how long past the loss occurred.
Be open to ask that person you admire and respect if they would consider being a supportive and safe friend to you. Worst case is they say "no". Best case, you just found your supportive person.🙏🙏
Bob Willis, author
"A Guide for Grievers"
"JESUS: The CRUCIFIED CAREGIVER"